Dutchman Botik van de Sandshulp spoke about the victory over Russian Andrei Rublev in the quarterfinals of the tournament in St. Petersburg.
– It seemed that by the end of the match you began to read Andrey's serve and attacks well. Is it so?
– Yes, in general, I can say that I played a good match. In the second set, he started to play better, but I adapted to his powerful serve, found an antidote against a player who likes to hit the ball as hard as possible.
– How would you describe your style?
– Good question. I think I serve well. On the back line, I can play aggressively, in an attacking style, go to the net, and defend, if necessary. I would say that I am a fairly versatile tennis player.
– Two days earlier, Andrei Rublev admitted that he did not remember you from the match four years ago and could not pronounce your name at all. Do you think the situation will change after this defeat?
– I think he will remember me, but as for the pronunciation of the surname – it will still be difficult.
– Kiki Bertens ran in St. Petersburg, Matve Middelkop is generally a favorite of the local public. Did you communicate with them? Do you think you can win the title in this tournament too?
– Yes, I talked to both of them. More often it is possible to intersect with Matve, since he is still playing, and Kiki has already left professional tennis. As far as my intentions are concerned, I generally want to win any tournament in which I participate, St. Petersburg Open is no exception, ”said van de Sandshulp.
The Dutchman's rival in the semifinals will be Marin Cilic. Horvath previously outplayed Roberto Bautista-Agut from Spain in three games.
Recall that the second pair of finalists of the tournament in St. Petersburg were Taylor Fritz and Jan-Lennard Struff.
- Andrey Rublev – after leaving the tournament in St. Petersburg: “Everything will be super at the Davis Cup”