Former Rangers goalkeeper Henrik Lundqvist said in an interview with Match TV that Tampa Bay goalkeeper Andrei Vasilevsky is the best goalkeeper in the world at the moment.
– You have been the face of the Rangers and New York for a long time. Now in this role – Artemy Panarin. What can you say about Khlebushka?
– Panarin is a great guy, a real team player. Of course, Artemy is now the face of the club. In the same role Mika Zybanejad, Chris Crider. Veterans are always needed in a young team. Great guys, strong teammates who help the Rangers get better.
– But what about Igor Shesterkin?
– He plays at an incredible level. It gets better every season and this year is fantastic. Igor has a lot of confidence in the Rangers. I think that Shesterkin fully justifies it, and that is why the team from New York looks so great in this championship.
– Does Henrik know that he was the idol for Shesterkin in his youth?
– Yes, I know about it, and Igor and I even talked a little about it when we met. I always try to maintain a positive attitude, to communicate warmly with the guys. It was very pleasant, especially when a meeting was recently held and my number was taken out of circulation. In general, I am embarrassed to talk about this, realizing that I am an idol. But I am constantly reminded of this.
– Who do you think is the best goalkeeper in the world?
– I am a big fan of Andrey Vasilevsky. Jakub Markström from Calgary also has a strong season. Vasilevsky has been proving his class over the past years. He has dimensions, speed. I would call him the best, but Markstrom is very close to him.
Vasilevsky is the holder of the title of the best player in the regular season of the NHL, as well as the best player in the playoffs.
- Kaprizov is simply unrecognizable! Russian forward rushes in pursuit of Ovechkin himself
- The Athletic put Shesterkin in second place in the list of contenders for the Vezina Trophy, Vasilevsky did not make it to the top 10