TV presenter and journalist Vladimir Pozner commented on the victory of Russian Daniil Medvedev in the US Open final.
25-year-old Medvedev beat Serb Novak Djokovic in three sets – 6: 4, 6: 4, 6: 4.
– Before the match, it didn't seem that Djokovic was such a favorite. He lost many sets in this championship, was far from perfect. There was more pressure on him than on Medvedev, because he went for an all-time record of 21 wins. Therefore, I thought that Medvedev's victory is quite possible. This was not a surprise to me, but I was very happy. Moreover, when he won the 2nd set, tension began, because Djokovic more than once lost 0: 2 in sets, and then won 3.
– How do you like the audience?
– The audience, of course, supported Djokovic, because they wanted to see 5 sets and how the story is going. Twice it was that Medvedev made mistakes on the serve when Djokovic made a break. I did not have the feeling that Medvedev was in the least beginning to get nervous: he played as he played.
– How do you look at the talk that the public did not want the Russian tennis player won the US trophy?
– I don’t look at these conversations at all. I don't understand what the issue is with a Russian tennis player who lives, by the way, not in Russia, but in Monte Carlo. About For some reason no one remembers this.
– How high is the level of Russian tennis now?
– Of course, it is high. But there is such a thing that now our best tennis players are not training in Russia, and there is nothing good about that. Yes, we have very capable guys and good coaches, but then for some reason they leave.
– What do you think this is connected with?
< p> – I don't know, I'm not an expert. Apparently, conditions are better there, so they leave. In general, you should ask them about this, not me.
Medvedev won his first Grand Slam tournament. Previously, the Russian reached the TBS finals twice – in 2019 at the US Open and this year at the Australian Open.
- Medvedev's first coach: “Danya managed to disarm Djokovic, he was the leader at corte “